USB Hard Drive
1. Package Contents
|USB Hard Drive
||Quick Start Guide
||Driver diskette (User's Manual inside)|
If any of these items are missing from the retail package, contact your supplier immediately.
This product provides a fast and easy way to add more storage space to your PC. The Plug & Play feature gives you a great convenience on the road. This product can be easily connected to your PC or Notebook by using the USB interface that can support up to 256MB, and can even be disconnected and re-connected while the computer is running.
|Full support USB
Specification, Version 1.1|
true "Plug & Play" connection supports hot swapping function. |
|Get powered directly from USB port; no external power or batteries.|
|Expedite Data Transfer rate is up to 12Mbps at "Full Speed".|
|Includes a write-protect switch.|
|Compact, light and very low power consumption.|
|LED indicator while drive
is in use and data transfer|
|Erase cycles: 1,000,000
|Read speed : 1000KBps.
|Write speed : 920KBps.
|Shock resistance: 1000 G (maximum)|
|Data retention up to 10 years|
|Size : 63.5mm*17mm*8mm|
|Weight : 10g|
Compliance : FCC and CE class B|
Temperature : 0ºC~
Temperature : -20ºC~
2.7. Power Consumption
Write 36.0mA, Read 33.0mA|
2.8. LED Indication
|LED indicator while
drive is in use and data transfer |
2.9. Driver Support
Mac OS 9.0 and above
3. Product physiognomy
Interface: The interface connects to the
USB port of the computer.
Switch: If you put the switch in “ON” position, the device will be in write
protection mode. You can not write in any data, you still can read the files or
data in the device.
LED Display: This LED Display will show the status of the device. Once the device is in operation, the LED will be flush quickly.
4. Driver Installation
driver required for Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Mac OS 9.0
For Windows 98SE installation
(1) Insert your USB hard drive into your computer's USB port and power on your computer. Windows 98 will recognize the device. then click "Next".
(2) Select "Search for the best driver for your device. (Recommended)." and click "Next".
(3) Please insert the driver diskette and select item "Floppy disk drives", then click "Next".
(4) Windows will search and recognize the driver of the device, click "Next".
(5) Windows will automatically copy the driver and related files into the system. After copying the driver files, installation is completed, and click "Finish".
(6) Now, you can use the USB hard drive on your computer.
5. Use Security Under Windows
the Application Software:
If you are installing the application software onto Windows OS, you must first log on as the administrator and then install the application software.
1. Find the “Setup.exe” program. You can find the program in the Floppy.
Double-click the icon.
|The USB driver only needs to be installed the first time the USB hard drive is connected via the USB port. Installation is not required from the second time onward.|
|Do not cancel the installation during the procedure. The USB hard drive may not operate correctly if the installation is incomplete.|
|Read the “Troubleshooting” Section if the installation cancels itself during the procedure, if the installation did not proceed as described, or if you feel that the driver are not properly installed.|
the USB Driver:
In some Windows system, users should log on as the Administrator before installation.
Once you have
attached the USB hard drive
to the computer. The OS will find the appropriate driver or
the “Add New Hardware Wizard” dialog will appear after a moment. You can do
the installation of the Driver manually. Or just find out the “Setup1.2.exe”
program to do the driver installation.
Using UMSD.exe Program the First Time:
Due to the UMSD.exe can only handle one USB hard drive at the same time. If you will not use the function of the UMSD.exe, like “Resize”, “Change Password”, or “Log In”, etc., you can insert more than two USB hard drive. If you want to use the function of the program, please remove all other USB hard drive. Otherwise, the UMSD.exe may perform not properly even cause data lost.
After you installed the software and driver correctly, the UMSD icon will appear in the notification area automatically.
The UMSD.exe will perform different ways depends on the partition type of the USB hard drive. If the icon did not appear automatically, you can
If the partition type of the USB hard drive is “Security Area Only”, you will see the menu as,
This “Unlock Protect” Window will pop up automatically once your device plug into the USB port if the device partition type contains “Security”.
the Security Data Zone:
1. Double click the UMSD icon in the notification window or select the [Login] selection of the UMSD menu. The “Unlock Protect” window will be popped up.
2. Key in the password in the “Password” area. The default password is “0000”.
You can create the password hint in the “Unlock Protect” window. Once you had created the password hint, you can click on the “Hint” button in the “Unlock Protect” window to prevent you forget the password.
You have three tries to input the password. After three tries, the following message will popped up. And you have to unplug and plug the device in order to do future action.
3. Click on the “OK” button.
4. Once the file manager window contains the “Security Data Zone” was popped up, you can do the operation you want with the Security Data Zone. The file manager window will be like the following figure. The background is colorful.
the Security Data Zone:
1. Double click the UMSD icon in the notification window or select the [Logout] of the UMSD menu.
2. Once the file manager window contains the “Security AP Zone” was popped up, you can do the operation you want with the Security AP Zone.
User can change password and key in the password hint using the “Change Password” selection in the UMSD menu. You can only select this item in “Security AP Zone”.
2. Key in your current password in the “Current Password” area. The default password is 4-digit and all are 0. After you “Resize” the UMSD, the password will be set to the default password.
3. Then, key in your new password and confirm in the “Confirm Password” area.
The maximum size of the password is 8 characters.
4. You can key in the hint of your new password in the “Password Hint” window. This hint will be displayed when you click the “Hint” button in the “Unlock Protect” window.
As described in the “Partition Type” section, you can do the “Resize” action to your USB hard drive.
“Resize” action will erase all the data or files existing in USB
hard drive. The
action is not reversible. You have to backup all the important files or data.
Also, please close all the active program and windows on the screen of your
1. Click the UMSD menu in the notification window using the right button of your mouse and select the [Resize] of the UMSD menu. The following “Resize Partition” window will be popped up.
2. Select the partition type you want.
3. If you select the “Public Area Only”, then click the [Resize] button. The “Confirmation” window will be popped up. Please make sure you already backup all the important files or data.
|After you resize the device, there is a program call “Setup.exe” will be copied into the “Public Area” automatically. This program is the same as “Setup1.2.exe”. You can install the application software using this “Setup.exe” program. Of course, you can delete it. If so, when you want to use the application software in another computer, you have to bring your CD-ROM or floppy with you.|
4. If you select the “Security Area”, then the following “Security Area Resize” window will be popped up. You can drag the scroll bar in the middle of the window to set the size of the “Security AP Zone” and “Security Data Zone”. Or you can type in the size of each Zone you want in the “Size” window. After you finished the setting, click the [Resize] button. The “Confirmation” window will be popped up. Please make sure you already backup all the important files or data.
5. Once the resize finished, the following message will be popped up.
|After you resize the device, there is a program call “Setup.exe” will be copied into the “Security AP Zone” automatically. This program is the same as “Setup1.2.exe”. You can install the application software using this “Setup.exe” program. Of course, you can delete it. If so, when you want to use the application software in another computer, you have to bring your CD-ROM or floppy with you.|
6. Safely Remove USB Hard Drive
6.1. PC Windows Users
(1) When you click on the removal icon on the task tray, a pop-up menu similar to the following will appear. Select it. (Example demonstrated under Windows ME)
(2) When the message box saying [The 'USB Disk G:' device can now be safely removed from the system] appears, click [OK]. Now you can remove the device from the USB port of your computer.
6.2. Mac OS Users
To unplug the USB hard drive, follow these steps:
Warning When you want to remove the USB hard drive, please make sure the LED is not flush quickly. If the LED flush quickly, that means there are some traffic on going between OS and USB hard drive. Don’t remove the USB hard drive at this time. Otherwise, it will cause some damages of the data or files even the USB hard drive.
7. Troubleshooting Guide
Q1. The USB icon doesn't appear on the taskbar, how can I unplug my USB hard drive?
A : You can either remove the USB hard drive when the LED is blinking slowly. Or you can right click on the device icon shown in "My Computer". Select "Eject". Then you can safely remove the device.
Q2. What is the function of the LED?
A : When the USB hard drive is inserted into the USB port and the LED lights up, it means that the computer has detected the USB hard drive device. When data transfer between computer with USB hard drive that the LED is blinking quickly.
Q3. What should I do if I do not see the removable disk in Windows Explorer after I have inserted the USB hard drive?
A : First please check whether you have installed the driver onto your system, then check "Device Manager", whether "USB Mass Storage Adapter" appeared in the "Universal Serial Bus Controller", if it has a yellow mark, please remove it and reinstall the driver, if there's no yellow mark, please restart your computer.